Monday, April 16, 2012

Change Is Good


Last fall I reached a fork in the road of life. I could have come home with my tail between my legs but I didn't. I said fuck you to failure and did something fun. It was the most exciting and fun time in my life, so far. Yeah even better the Ireland. Why? I had freedom. I didn't have class I could do whatever I wanted. And I did a lot of really cool things simply because I wanted to. 


That’s how I like to live. I like to have my own freedom. I like to live without limits. I do things because I want to. 


I had a plan for myself when I graduated high school… back then I was naïve. I still believed it was best to have a plan to live life successfully. Then I learned if you wanted a wonderful life then the plan would be to have no plan. Go where your heart takes you.


My heart wants to take me to Europe and never let me leave… but I can’t. It’s not possible right now. I’m sick of university which was my ticket there. Since I’m not going to university I have no way to spend a prolonged time there. But I’ve cast my sight away from Europe for a tiny bit. 
I’m going to see America first.


After a lot of thinking I’ve made a decision. I’m joining the United Sates Coast Guard. For those of you who are staring at the screen with dumbfounded expressions at this abrupt change in my life… well it’s not too horribly abrupt for me.


You see March 2nd I went to my niece Kirsten’s graduation from the Coast Guard training academy in Cape May. I talked to her a bit and started doing research of my own into the Coast Guard. She inspired me to join.


You see I’ve known for a while that I didn’t want to finish uni. But I didn’t know how I’d break it to my family because going to university had always been something my parents pushed my brothers and I too. Plus I didn’t know what I’d do if I dropped out. I mean I simply thought I’d be doomed to a minimum wage job for the rest of my life. Then I saw Kirsten graduate and it dawned on me that I had another path I could walk if I wanted to quit formal school.


So after a few weeks of research and a trip to NYC to see a recruiter I’ve made a firm decision. I’m joining the Coast Guard. I take my ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) tomorrow at 10h00. So by this time tomorrow I’ll know if I scored high enough to get a position as an OS. 


It’s exhilarating how fast my life has started to move. Once I take the ASVAB I get to see my recruiter again and make everything official. I can’t wait to start this new life chapter.


Cheers, 

No comments: