Thursday, April 28, 2011

Because Spring Break is Meant to be Epic

Never in my life have I had a Spring Break that was epic. Sure I’d been to the beach with my family and what not. I was never and will never be one of those kids that goes off to the “It” spot of the year to party. At the beginning of the semester I had been planning on staying in Ireland for my spring break and doing a little bit of local travel. Then I got to know my housemates. And they swept me along on their grand adventure.


What is this grand adventure you ask? Well it was three days driving in Greece and 4 days in Rome.

Here’s how this is all going to go I’m going to play out… this post is just telling you how awesome break was and the next few will be about what I saw and cool history facts and whatnot. So if history facts bore you then just look at the pictures!

My spring break started when I boarded the bus at 1am to the Dublin airport. From Dublin we flew first to Brussels. Why Brussels? It was cheaper to fly from Dublin to Brussels to Volos. Cheap was what this trip was about, after all we’re students.

So our time in the Brussels airport was a grand total of 45 minutes. We ended up being a bit rushed for time and that was my fault. First is was coming in. Since I have an American passport I have to get stamps and go through a different passport check since I’m not an EU citizen. The guy behind the counter kept me for about 5 minutes asking me a ton of questions. I tried my hardest to explain I was leaving real soon so no need to get worked up. I had to pull out my boarding pass for him to finally stamp me and let me through. Then I had to go get a stamp on my boarding pass from the RyanAir desk saying they’d checked m passport. There was a long line. All in all by the time we got to the gate we were close to the last to board.

But we made it to Volos Greece. The Volos Airport… the smallest airport ever! My elementary school was bigger then this thing.

We picked up our car. It was a tiny bright yellow car. I forget what type it was but we named her daisy.

Daisy did good the whole time in Greece. Our treck around Greece looked something like this.

J -Volos
b- Athens
c- Epidaurus
d- Argos
e- Tripoli
f- Olympia
g- Patra
h- Nafpaktos
i- Delphi
j -Volos

Day one of Greece was arriving in Volos and driving 4 hours to Athens. Day 2 was sight seeing at the Acropolis in Athens then we drove and stopped at towns, had dinner in Tripoli and arrived in Olympia for the night. Day 3 was sight seeing in Olympia before driving lots more and arriving in Delphi for the night. Our last day in Greece started with us visiting the temple of Apollo, which was where the oracle of Delphi was. Then we drove back to the Volos airport to catch our flight to Rome!

Four days in Rome was amazing. We walked everywhere and saw so many beautiful fountains and squares and ruins. My favorite part was walking down the street and suddenly there are ruins! I loved it! And our hostel was super sketchy but totally cool and it was in a really good location.

And that my friends is a quick over view of my spring break… the fun stuff is still to come!!

Cheers,

No comments: