Thursday, December 1, 2016

Around the World in 33 Days: Copenhagen

Guess where I am!?

Dresden Germany! But I’ll get to that soon enough.

Obviously I left Jersey for Europe. I had left with a semi offer to work at a hostel in Prague. But then when I emailed back for confirmation on start date and a place… radio silence. If this had been a few months ago I probably would have freaked out and who knows made some stupid decision. Instead I bought a ticket to Bangkok.

What?! Why Thailand? Well there’s a few things that I’ve thought long and hard about. First off even though Christmas sucked last year I wasn’t 100% sure I could hack a Christmas on my own. I figured I’d just be crying all day and of 0 use to anyone. And honestly I don’t think I could handle that. So I won’t be! I’ll be home for Christmas. I’ve also met a guy. And so far he’s done nothing but challenge me, in a good way.  He kind of has his crap together and the worst part… he’s younger then I am. So I did a lot of thinking in Copenhagen. I know by no standards is 26 old. But I haven’t got much to show for it except a bunch of passport stamps. I ended up searching for a job and found a Travel Agent job in Union NJ. And I spent an excited and fitful night thinking over how to get home the earliest without sacrificing any adventure.

My solution was simple and clear.

And after prompting from my mum to just do what I wanted....

I booked a ticket to Bangkok the next day.

I take off Saturday. And I’m scared shitless. At the very least it’ll be a good story in the end.

I’ll be home for Christmas and a holiday party with afore mentioned handsome man. And I’ll be patiently waiting to hear back about that job.

Now that you’re caught up on where the fuck this is all going. Allow me to wow you with Copenhagen!







I went to the Street Food Market. If you’re in Copenhagen you should totally go there. It’s super hipster. But you MUST go hungry! Because damn is the food good!





You can’t go to Copenhagen without seeing The Little Mermaid!





And there’s a military base on an island right by the Mermaid and it was super cute to walk around.




I saw the very famous Nyhavn. It’s a waterfront built by King Christian V from 1670 to 1673. And the Danish were like meh digging this is so below us, so they had Swedish prisoners dig it! Also since it was the gateway to the area where they did all the cargo and fish business this waterfront was the place to be. Back in it’s hay day it was known for beer, sailors, and prostitution.  Get this the first bridge across it was built in 1875!! Two hundred years and there was no bridge between the sides.  And to wrap in the Little Mermaid to Nyhavn, Hans Christian Anderon lived there for a year and a half (the swanky bastard!).




Come on though it’s pretty…



And on Nyhavn there is an old light boat moored there. Instead of having a lighthouse in the harbor they would anchor this thing and turn it on to warn of sand bars and the like. How cool?!



I saw the Palace! Christianborg Palace is not only the palace but also the seat of the Danish Parliament.  And it might not look like much but it’s the only one of it’s kind in the world… in respect to the fact that under that roof is every branch of the Danish government. The Danish parliament (legislative), the Prime Minster’s Office (Executive), and the Supreme Court of Denmak. How cool is that! And there are still enough rooms for the Monarch to have the Royal reception Rooms, the Palace Chapel and the Royal Stables.



I also saw Rosenburg castle. It was a rather small castle to be honest.



And the City Hall reminded me a bit of a fortress!


And then I got up at 5am to make my flight to Rome!!!!


Cheers,

No comments: