Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I Gave Away My Child Today…

Today I went to the post office first things and shipped out my manuscript. After spending 7 years writing I really do feel like my manuscript was my child and I only paid $7.40 for my precious child to be handed over to someone else.

My mum and I made it a momentous occasion of pure ridicules proportions. We decided to take pictures… lots of pictures.

So we go into the post office and I’m filling out the address and stuff and the guy behind the counter let me take pictures with him.

When we first walked in I thought everyone in the post office would think that I was a total nutcase because I was so excited about sending my book off. Boy was I wrong! Turn out Michael (the guy behind the counter) was a fantasy geek like me! I found that out when he asked me what genre and I told him mine was fantasy, he’s a fan of Tad Williams (I’m 90% sure it was Tad), and guess who Tad Williams is published by? DAW aka hopefully my future publisher. There was also another man in the post office that was interested in the fact I was sending out my second manuscript. So we swapped business cards. This was quite a crowning achievement for me as it was the first time I had actually swapped cards with someone. The majority of my cards go out in my books that I sign. I also gave Michael one. Again a new thing, no one had ever asked me for a business card.

All around not only did I send my manuscript off to DAW but I felt like a real important author. I know I have ages to go before I really am… but it felt nice to feel famous for a few minutes. It made me even more confident about sending it out. Everybody cross your fingers that DAW just loves the book!

So on the way out I had to pose with my receipt…

Over all it was a very satisfying day!


Cheers,

No comments: