Thursday, September 1, 2011

Life in a Suitcase

I seem to have put myself on a fast track to what I want. And honestly I’ve given myself whiplash with how fast I’ve been moving lately. I leave for Europe in a week. I’m going to spend 10 days in France with my boyfriend, then it’s off to London.


That’s the fun part. The hard part is packing. I’m taking US Airways over so I’ve to normal 50 pounds to bring in my suitcase. But from France to London I’m taking Ryanair, aka a discount airline. If you know of Ryanair you know how odd and shitty it can be. I’ve only got 20 kilos in my checked bag and 10 on my carry on. So that’s 60 something pounds. And I decided that those 60 something pounds would be my entire life.


I’d done a good over haul of my belongings before Ireland but now it’s official America won’t be my home for a while. So I’m cutting ties and getting rid of old baggage. I’ve got a goal of only leaving behind a tiny bit of stuff that I want to keep. Everything else must go. And it’s been very hard!


I don’t have weight or room to bring all of my favorite clothes so I’ve got to make a new pile of my favorite favorite clothes. Plus I’ve also got to think about practical things. Like what I’ll need for school, what the weather difference is. What I’ll need for the first few weeks out of the states. And what I’ll need till I visit for Christmas.


Hard questions right. Well I’ll show you what I have to deal with. I went around the house and tossed all my belongings into the sun room (my guest room I made). It never looks like this… except when I throw all my worldly belongings about…


A lot of…shit. Right? That’s what most of it is. Essentially it’s all just stuff. And I found a quote from Dr. Dyer that sums up my current situations wonderfully “Constantly remind yourself that you're here for a reason, and it's not to hoard a lot of material stuff"

It’s a lot easier when you think about it in terms of stuff. You can always get more stuff. You don’t need objects to remember.


So my piles of stuff have slowly started to get smaller… and smaller. No I just need to make them weigh 30 kilo…

Cheers,

No comments: