Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Most Epic Journey

Christmas was last Sunday, I had planned on staying in Europe till after New Years but alas plans got changed and I ended up booking a ticket home the 23rd. Then it popped into my head ’Why not surprise everyone?’ So my mum asked for me to send my flight info to her. I did a bit of poking found the flight I was on ran just about every day from Frankfurt. The email I sent her had my correct flight info but I changed the date to the 28th. My plan was ready to go I was going to show up at home, unannounced, the 23rd of December, just in time for Christmas! 


My ticket had been booked way back in November and I had a friend who was going to help me. Turns out she’s very afraid of keeping secrets and to add to it she ended up having lunch with my mum twice that month after I had told her. So she was scared to death she’d ruin my surprise, she made a tiny slip but saved it and didn’t rat me out. 


So my journey home sort of started when I woke up the 22nd at 10h00. I ended up rearranging and re packing that day then just enjoyed the rest of the time playing Diablo and relaxing with my boyfriend. I left at midnight on the 23rd. 
I took a 30 minute car ride to Metz. 
I hoped on a bus at Metz.
Took an hour and five minute bus ride to Luxembourg.
Transferred busses to take a 2 hour and five minute ride to Frankfurt Hahn Airport.
Then hopped another bus from Hahn to Main (an hour and a half ride)


I need to pause here to tell you about my experience at Frankfurt Main. First it’s a gigantic airport and it took me a while to find the Delta check-in. I got asked all sorts of questions. “Did you pack your bag?” “Where’s your final destination?” and so on. Once the guy determined I was me and had packed my own bags I walked up to the counter to check my back. It weighed 24.5 kilos and I was only allowed 23 kilos. So I crossed my fingers and said a little prayerr as I chatted with the guy behind the counter. He passed my bag through without fees!! Woo!!
So I was off to passport control. I smile and walk up to the desk. The lady takes my passport and flips though it. “You arrived on the 12th of September?” I smiled and said yes. “Where have you been since then?” I told I had been in France and she asked for proof so I pulled out my bus tickets. That was good enough proof I suppose. She nods and looks at me. “Are you aware you’re only allowed to stay in the EU for 3 months. You’ve been here illegally for 10 days now.” I must have turned pretty pale, I felt like vomiting. She turns to the other guy in Passport control and they talk in German for what felt like forever as it sank in I could be getting arrested, probably detained and banned from the EU. She ended up passing me through thank god and I booked it to my gate! Never again in my life!! I had thought I had 6 months to be in and out so I had been confident I was okay. Nope. No more mix ups!! I’m done with border runs!


Back to my journey…
I boarded and was on a 9 hour flight to *drum roll* Detroit!
I get to Detroit and had to pass customs. I passed without a hitch. Rechecked my bag and was off to my connecting flight.
My flight was delayed almost 2 hours.
But I eventually made it to Newark Airport.
From Newark I boarded a bus.
Got to Newark Penn Station.
Missed the early train and had to wait an hour.
Caught my train all the way to the last stop on the Raritan line.
Then the last leg of my journey and by far the worst physically. 
I had to walk about a kilometer and a half up hill (many breaks were needed). 
Then I walked up my super steep driveway, left my bag at the patio. 
Crept up to the side door. 
Took off my shoes and snuck inside.
I tiptoed to the dining room/living room, smiled and said “Merry Christmas!”
My parents, little brother and his 2 friends turn to look at me


And stare…


And stare…


And stare…


Then I suppose it sunk in that I was home and I got a round of hugs. Not quite what I had expected but they keep telling me they were in shock and didn’t think it was me at first. 
My epic journey home consisted of 1 car ride. 4 bus rides. 2 planes. 1 train. Walking and 38 hours without sleep. I think it was worth it though as my family was excited I was home for Christmas and I got to spenc Christmas back in Jersey.

Cheers,

No comments: