Wednesday, May 13, 2015

12 Flights 7 Weeks: Bucharest

From Barcelona and the horribleness of a delayed flight I finally made it to Bucharest!! It was really freaking early when I arrived (like 1am early). So i grabbed a coffee and hunkered down in a comfy booth at the coffee shop in the airport. I watched Black Hawk Down on my ipod then did some updating of my travel journal then decided that 8am was the perfect time to go into city centre and find my hostel.

I got off the bus and got insanely lost on the way to my hostel. But then i found it... turns out the only reason I got lost was because i went left  instead of right. Oops. But all that counts is that i found my Hostel and it was so damn cute! Not to mention the view!!!
A photo posted by Taylor (@tayvang) on



Come on how swanky! That's the national bank by the way. Any how Little Bucharest Hostel comes highly recommended by me because it was perfectly located and the cleanest hostel i have ever stayed in. Not to mention the staff is amazing and nice.  

Now Bucharest was an insanely cheap stop because I didn't have an atm card and I couldn't take out a lot of cash on my credit card. So I had $50 for my five days in Romania. $32 went to my Hostel. $10 to my return ticket to the airport. Food and fun were to be in short supply. I spent about $3 on food the whole trip. I ate my protein bars and had pretzels and even managed to go shopping so i could make myself some pasta and meatballs! 

It really wasn't as bad as it sounds. Bucharest was actually my favourite stop of the whole trip! 

Even though some of the city is totally dilapidated...


The new bits are still nice...


And it's a wonderful juxtaposition of old and new. 

Plus this house is there.

And I don't know why I love it but I totally do. It's amazing and old.

I can't forget to mention the Christmas Market!!!!!





I did a lot of walking and site seeing....


 Parcul Herastrau::







Parliament::





And I made some great friends. This is sad to admit but I met and American guy who worked at the hostel and we ended up hanging out the whole night drinking whiskey. I drank away the rest of my Romania budget but well there are worse things in life then good stories. It was a blast!

I also got up to a lot of editing. 


By this point my book was pretty iron clad so I was just reworking all my favourite scenes so they were super good.

My last day I walked down to the cemetery. You're not aloud to take pictures in it but if you have time to get down to the Bellu Cemetery then you should. There are some incredibly intricate moratoriums. Plus you can walk through Carol Park. And there is a really cool war monument there.




I caught my flight out to London that afternoon. It was sad to leave Bucharest. I wanted to stay longer. But I'll get back there someday. Besides I had plans to meet up with Richard (my Bath host) in London for the two days that I'd be there. Plus my trip was winding down and I was looking forward to going home.



Cheers,