Tuesday, May 12, 2015

12 Flights 7 Weeks: Barcelona

Ahhh Barcelona we meet again!



This was my second visit to the lovely city of Barcelona. So it wasn't like I had to rush around and see sites. I did that last time. This time my visit was all about friends. I was meeting up with Lenka and Damien. And oddly enough Kelly. She had booked her weekend in Barcelona before she even knew i would be there. so it was funny. She was meeting a German friend of hers. 

I crashed at Lenka's place and let me tell you about her place. first off....



Like holy shit!! What a kick ass view! I sat out side one morning and wrote.



Yes it was December but it wasn't that cold... i was a typical toursit just walking aorund in a sweatshirt. Ooops!

Damien and I walked around Barcelona while Lenka had school and/or work. We met her for coffee one day and had it at El Corte Ingles with this view..... 


We also went to the cemetery because I really wanted to find a certain statue. I had missed it last time in Barcelona because it's a bit of a walk and I only had the one day to see the city. But this time I saw it and it melted my heart....



It's just really pretty you know? Then we walked on the beach and i picked up shells and put my feet in the Mediterranean. Because yes I have an obsession with beaches and putting my feet in foreign seas!


Also CHRISTMAS MARKETS!!!


I went to two of them in Barcelona!!



And we can't forget the Caga Tio! 


it's a tradition in the region. It's a log with a face and children feed it for a whole month leading up to Christmas. And then on Christmas you put a blanket over it and sing traditional songs while you beat it with a stick and it defecates... presents.... 


Hmmmmm. It is pretty cute though i a weird way i guess....

But the first night we met up with Kelly and her friend for dinner then drinks. Her friend was a major buzz kill.... but whatever. It's going to sound bad but it wasn't my friend so i didn't have to put up with her.

Although I wanted to punch her in the face the next night when we met up again and decided to go see the fountains at Monutjuic. And they were only on till 20h00. Since we were in the gothic section we kind of had to book it over there if we wanted to get food and have a picnic. But Kelly's friend was all like don't walk so fast, blah, blah, blah. so by the time we got there we only saw like 5 minutes of them. ugh.


 But again i didn't care because i had two bottle of sangria and Damien and i were headed back to Lenka's to drink for the night.

The next day was the epic part of the visit. We had a winter barbecue! 



It was awesome. and the view was obviously amazing! and it was so much fun. It helped take my mind off of what happened that afternoon.

So long story short. Damien and I went to the Christmas market to buy Cagatios. I needed to get some cash so we stopped at an ATM. And it ate my debit card! It took it in and refused to give it back! it was a total jerk and i was freaking out. Like straight up ready to cry. It was really fucking hard to just walk away from the machine. But I pulled myself together as we walked through the Christmas market. I still had some cash. So when we got back I called my parents and my dad went to the bank to cancel my card. So it was down to my one credit card for the rest of the trip. 

As you can imagine it was really nice to have the barbecue because I didn't have to think about it.  Because as it turns out thinking about it was way too depressing so I ignored it. 
Any way Damien left early the day. I saw him off to the subway. It was the first time we'd really hung out and talked since we broke up. And it was nice to see that our Ireland group was firm once again. 

My last day was spent hanging out with Lenka. We had coffee and cake at the really freaking cute place!!



Like come on! plus oh my god! the cake!


I wanted to die. Then we hit the book store because i wanted to get Daughter of Smoke and Bone in Spanish. i was going to learn Spanish by reading it but oops life got in the way. 

It was really nice to just spend time and talk with Lenka. Even though we've been friends since Ireland it was nice to get to know her better and i feel like we're closer friends because of it.

Then i had to make a mad dash to the airport! The WizzAir check in line was crazy and i just needed a visa stamp! grr!! I ended up just asking a lady at another desk and she's like we don't stamp your ticket only Ryanair does that. So I had just wasted almost 40 minutes in line and i was just barely going to be making it to the gate. 

So I rushed through security and legit ran to the gate. Only to find that my flight was delayed until further notice!! It was annoying that i had just stressed so hard over it only to find that there was no need to stress at all. I picked a seat and settled in.

I spent half the time worrying that I did indeed need a stamp and I would be denied boarding. So I was formulating what to do if i had to skip Romania. I had planned on staying with Lenka a further day or so before going to London early. And i was all ready to be okay with that when we boarded and I had 0 problems!! 

It only turned out to only be two hours late. I got into Otopeni at about 1 in the morning but I was ready for my Romania adventure to begin!!!

Cheers,