Thursday, May 7, 2015

12 Flights 7 Weeks: Madrid and Getafe

The next leg of my trip was going to be fraught with old housemates and epic fun! I just had to get to Spain first. 

I left behind Edinburgh and my underage future husbands early in the morning. I got to Dublin at 9h15 and settled down to update my journal and drink coffee till my flight to Madrid left at 16h10. To some people such a layover would be a hassle and annoying but to me.... it was perfect. I also did a decent amount of people watching. And I discovered the most amazing Starbucks hot chocolate... Honey and Almond Hot Chocolate! Like seriously amazing. I also found a lounge slash cafe that had a great view of the planes taking off and landing and it was very exciting to watch while i worked on editing my manuscript.




My Dubling layover went swimmingly. And it was off to Madrid I went. I arrived at 19h50ish and promptly grabbed the metro into Sol. Ana had given me superb directions to where I was meeting her because she is going to school outside of Midrid city centre so I had to take the metro to the city then hopped on another train to Getafe. When I got to the station it was off to meet up with Ana and I was so freaking excited!

I found Ana with 0 problems. It was a slightly tearful reunion. We then headed back to her flat where we ate yummy food, drank sangria and hung out.

The next few days were filled with struggling to make an American Thanksgiving in Spain. Thank god there was an "American Store" right down the street.




It was seriously the funniest things because yes it was all American things but they were way expensive. Like a can of Campbell's soup was about $3 conversion rate. But we needed it for the green bean casserole. It was all so tasty! Don't tell my mum (or she'll want me to make it) but i made stuffing from scratch!







We made the pie from scratch!!







Ana took me to El Escorial. It's the palace of King Phillip II. It was also a monastery. The cathedral was really lovely and the library was amazing!! The architect  Juan Bautista de Toledo had also worked on Saint Peter's in Rome. So to say that the place was pretty is an understatement. 








And CHRISTMAS MARKETS!!!!!!! We went into Madrid city centre for the Christmas Market and to see the lights. It wasn't the best Christmas Market but it was better then nothing! Plus Madrid looked so cute decked out in Christmas lights!





I got to see the Getafe Cathedral. It's a bit plain on the outside but still charming I think.




Ana still had classes during the week so I was lucky to get the alone time. I got a lot of writing and Editing done. I also drank a lot of coffee.




And saw a rainbow.




It was a great few days in Getafe with Ana. I loved bing able to catch up on everything. I even got to meet her boyfriend via skype. It was also this point in my trip that my mum sent me the cutest picture of my puppies. She got them matching sweaters!!!!!!




It really made me miss them. But I still had four more stops before heading home. And my next stop was Barcelona to see Lenka and Damien. And I got to take the train!!




Cheers,