Saturday, May 2, 2015

12 Flights 7 Weeks: Rome

Rome.... In case my previous two obsessive posts about my last 2 trips there weren't enough to let you in on the secret that I'm in love with this city then perhaps I shall drive the point home with the fact that this was my third trip to Rome and I am still as enamored as ever with the city. I'll elope there one day.

So my cousin's friend had sold everything and was traveling and we were in Rome the same time. Obviously we had to get together. Kelly and I met up with Missy at the hotel. After an ever embarrassing exit from the wrong side of Termini we made it to the hotel. I would like to point out that the last time I was in Rome i came out the wrong side of Termini because the tourist map confuses me like hell because I always think it should be the other way round. 

We found Missy though. And she had booked us into a cool ass hotel on Via Napoleon III. We had three single beds in the room and our own bathroom. The poor girls dealt with my still recovering digestive system like champs. I love them. 



It was just about dinner time so we made our first foray into Rome and had some delicious fucking pasta and pizza for dinner. And they had beer but I was putting it off for another day. After dinner we had a kind of early night. Because the next day was our only full day in Rome and I had HUGE plans for us!

Breakfast was amazing and there was so much food and we ate tons. Then hit the city. First stop?! The Colosseum! We hit the church that Michelangelo's Moses is in. 



Then I almost got us lost on the way to the Colosseum.... oops. 



But we made it there and I shared fun facts. Like did you know they used to flood the place so they could have mock naval battles! How bad ass!



We had to see Piazza del Campidoglio.....



We had an amazing lunch of yummy pasta and pizza!



 Then we saw the Pantheon. I love that place. It's so old and majestic. Did you know the floors are original? So when you walk through there you're literally walking on history!





Then it was Gelato time at my main digs in Piazza Navona.



Then we tried to book it to the Vatican before it closed. We did see the outside of Saint Peters. It was as lovely as ever. 




We also saw Saint Michael's Castle on the way over. It's still lovely and round! And epic!!


We also swung by the Trevi Fountain.... yes it was under construction and I couldn't throw a coin in to ensure my return....




On our way back to the hotel we hit up Spar. We got wine and munchies! lots of munchies and all I have to prove this is a bad phone picture. 



Like bread and pesto and cheese and meats. And we had a feast of epic proportions. Overshadowed a wee bit by the fact that we had grabbed a cab back to our hotel for the last little leg and Missy had left he camera in the cab. She wasn't a whiny bitch about it and she manned up about it quite nicely by not complaining when she could have complained a lot. Because she had taken some really kick ass photos on it! 

The next day was supposed to be filled with the first road and catacombs but turns out we saw the Trevi Fountain again. And we opted for a long delicious lunch instead of over extending out site seeing. 










And holy hell was that not thee most amazing lunch ever!!! And we cleaned the plates like starving people!




I want to eat it all over again. We also had lots of wine and it was amazing. 



Rome was definitely a perfect spot for a recovering Taylor to binge eat and try to gain weight. 

After our lunch we took goofy selfies...



Hit the super market for food souvenirs and pasta for dinner back in Edinburgh. Then we made a slightly tearful departure from Missy to race to the airport!

And off to Scotland we went!

But for your enjoyment.... extra walk about pictures!









Cheers,


No comments: