Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pub Tales

Last night I went to the pub on campus called The Stables. It’s the hang out place for all the students. I really like the atmosphere of the pub. It’s like nothing I’ve ever had before. In the states we don’t have anything that I can compare it too. Many of the students (from Ireland or other parts of Europe) find it hard to believe when I tell them that. They assume that are bars are like pubs, but I’ve never seen a bar in the states that compares to a pub here. Most of the time bars are for people who want to drink in the middle of the day, or for people to drink by themselves or in a tiny group after work. Or if you’re a college kid you go to bars to get drunk and dance or see friends. Then they ask me about clubs. Again that doesn’t fit the whole pub scenes. American clubs are again for drinking and loud music and dancing. The pubs here are very much a social thing. There’s no dancing, no getting drunk, no loud music. Sure there’s music but it’s not the loud stuff of American clubs. People just meet there to have a drink or two and see their friends. And it’s not just a few friends you see and talk to. You’ll talk to a huge group and even chat with strangers.



For instance when I was out last night I went with my roommates from Spain and Czech Republic. We sat outside with our drinks and all their friends came to say hi and hang out for a bit before they meandered off. It was the most fun I’ve had since I got here. Why? Because for the most part I was the only American out of 15 or more people. Sometimes one of my American roommates would come over for a bit but they pretty much stuck with the other Americans. Or a girl I just met from Connecticut would chill with us.


Being around so many different people was something I’ve never experienced before but I was comfortable. Even if I wasn’t in conversation all the time it was cool to listen to listen to the way they spoke and used the English language. Every now and then if I someone would ask me for a word or if I had been talking and used a slang word or a word they hadn’t heard I’d have to explain it. Explaining “American” words has defiantly gotten my brain working.


The highlight of my night was when my new French buddy turns to me and told me that he was impressed that I was still hanging out with them. I didn’t understand what he was hinting at so he explained how the American students tended to cling to each other and rarely made friends outside of their “American Group”. To me that’s crazy. I didn’t come abroad to meet Americans. Sure they’re from different states but they’re still American! I came to meet people from different countries and learn about their culture. If I had wanted to meet American I would have stayed in the states.


Laters,

No comments: