Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Schedules are Hell

I love learning more then I love breathing. There’s just something about gaining new knowledge that’s so enticing and addictive. And yet there’s always a black cloud on the horizon of a perfect opportunity to learn. Today that cloud is my schedule.

Honestly what is it with this university! There’s only one class of any given subject. And it seems that all the classes I want to take are at the same time on the same days. It’s hard as hell to choose between Irish Folklore and Criminal Law (I ended up picking Folklore). So making my timetable is the hardest thing I’ve done in my life so far. I swear the SATs were easier than this!!

It’s not just the lectures I have to make fit either. I’ll let you in on my pain and give you a crash course on classes at UL. You have to attend all the lectures for a given class. Now lectures are anywhere between one hour and four hours. Also they all have over 50 people (sometimes closer to 100) in them. Then after lectures and usually on a different day of the week you have to attend a tutorial. Tutorials are like re-runs of the lecture except with maybe 20 people in it and you can ask questions. On top of lectures and tutorials for my bio class I also have lab. Thank god I’m an exchange student because we can pick our tutorial group! It makes it a wee bit easier but it’s still a chore.

For instance right now I have four classes picked and every part of them works out, granted I’m walking out of one class at 11 and walking straight to another class that starts at 11, but they still work! The down side? I need one more class and I cannot find a single one that fits! It’s like the god of the timetable is hell bent on making me crazy before giving me a good class.

So I’m going to take a deep breath… and another one… and go to bed. Perhaps tomorrow when I wake up I’ll be able to look through 75 pages of classes offered this spring and find an interesting one I have yet to spot that fits my schedule. So cross your fingers that my 10th read through of the brochure will shed some light into the pits of schedule making hell.

Cheers,


No comments: