Thursday, December 18, 2014

Airports

I think I might have addressed this once or twice before but let me make a long clear point.
I LOVE AIRPORTS!
Why? I've got a whole list of reaons. But mind you this love for airports is a bit tainted at the moment. It's 6 am here I in Reykjavik. I've been at the airport since  2:15 yesterday afternoon... and my flight boards at 4:30 this afternoon.
Am I crazy? Quite possibly yes.
That's beside the point. I promise.
So what's the deal with this long stay? Well I was couchsurfing in Reykjavik and my host was awesome (more on this later obviously). But his cousin was coming to visit and I was welcome to stay but I didn't want to ruin family time. I respect family time. So I was like no problem I'll come up with something.
Now Reykjavik was done on $50 and $27 of that went to my bus transfer. My parents were happy to wire me money. But I backed down at the last minute.  How many people can say they did Reykjavik on fifty bucks. It's an expensive fucking city. I still got a hot dog, ice cream, coffee, post cards, and a Christmas present for my little brother. So I'd say I swung it nicely.
That being said I obviously had no money for a hostel. The cheapest one was $26. Nope. Nope. Nope. So I indulged my guilty pleasure of skulking around an airport for an excessively long time!
The busses here run according to departing flights. So the last one out yesterday was at 2:30 in the afternoon. I left the flat to do some site seeing. The weather was nice so I spent my supposed last 500 LSK on a coffee. I ended up finding 1000 LSK stashed with my return ticket,  I'm a clever girl. After my coffee at Mokka I started walking toward city hall and the weather got really nasty. But I pushed on. Some hail and snow later it cleared. I went to the harbour to get some bangin pictures. Then BAM more nasty weather. It really couldn't make up it's mind. So I was like fuck this my face hurts and 2 pairs of pants isn't enough so I'm going to the bus station. I hopped on the 1:30 bus and away I went.
By this point I've had a 3 hour nap. Edited a good 80 pages. And watched Arthur's Christmas.
I've also had dinner and snacks. I set a 500 LSK budget at the grocery store here for foods. I got a 200g pack of crackers as well as a small packet of butter and cheese. Ghetto? Not even the worst yet. I made coffee.... I always travel with instant coffee because you never know when you'll need it. And the water in this one bathroom sink is scalding. So thanks to my trusty water bottle I have black coffee. There that's as ghetto as I'll get.
But I'm enjoying the airport so who cares?! I'm listening to Christmas tunes and just living it up.
I love the energy of airports. Not the omg I'm late or fuck this line. I love the core energy of it all. Because at one point when they booked tickets these people were happy. I love the energy of going places. The anticipation of that moment in take off where you feel the earth try to keep you down but up you go anyway and it tugs in your stomach. It's exquisite!
That's why I love airports. And I sleep in them as often as I can because well I just love it. The lack of sleep combined with people watching and other adventures (like finding cheap dinner or a plug) makes for good stories. It's very hard to put into words my love for airports. Mainly because so many people have a stigma against airports and will never understand me. They'll just state at me like what the hell.
I even love going through security. I've got it to a science. It's always funny when I get pulled aside for a bag check because they think I've left liquids in. This happened 3 times this trip. And every time they tried to nail me for 2 things. My toothpaste and deodorant. And once for my baby powder. And I'm just like none of these are liquids,  they check and they're like oh my bad. It shows up as organic material and that usually means liquids. It never bugs me because I'm always early. I find it funny to be honest.
Then there's the queue for the plane. And the funny people in zone 6 that stand up and queue in the way when they're only boarding zone 1. Too funny!
Oh but the part that I love the most comes after the flight. Yes sleeping here and chilling here is great fun but the best part is at broader control!
The stamps!!! I love getting my passport checked. I love the ka-chink of the sramps! And the new ink.... it's the best.
So you see the best things in life happen at an airport. You go places. You have adventures. You get stamps. I'd live in an airport if I could.
I've got 10 hours till boarding. I suppose I should edit a bit more.... well off I go to work. I'll be home soon and I'm excited.  This trip was long and tough at some points but worth it. So stay tuned for the rest of my Westward adventures and then 7 weeks of adventure! It'll be tons of posts! After all I had 12 flights, saw 13 cities in 7 countries. So stay tuned every one! Have a good day. I know I will!
Cheers,
Taylor

No comments: