Monday, December 1, 2014

So I'm in Spain....

If you've been following me for a while you'll know Spain has a fond place in my heart and you can skip the next paragraph wherein I explain my love for the country.

You see the only reason I ever decided to explore Spain was because one of my housemates from Ireland was Spanish.  When I lived in France our house decided to meet up for a reunion in southern Spain. Ana convinced me that Spain was a wonderful place to visit and I should do a tour of the country and visit her again at the end. So I did. And slowly fell in love with Spain during my solo backpacking of 4 cities in 12 days. And I've fallen more in love with the country as Ana has become one of my best friends and I visit the every time I'm in Europe.

Basically Spain will forever be one of my favourite places. And I'm so excited to be spending 11 days here. I'm staying with Ana in Madrid at the moment.  She's taking her master's here. It's been rainy, but it wouldn't be a proper trip to Madrid for me without the rain. Because it always rains when I visit Madrid. Thursday I'll be off to Barcelona to visit Lenka and meet up with Damien. And coincidentally Kelly will be there too!

Kelly and I just spent a week together. We met in London then saw Rome and I stayed with her in Edinburgh. 

A bit about that all. I got really sick in Morocco. I was happy I'd gone to Fez 3 days early because I had a temperature the first 2 days there and slept till it broke the afternoon of the third day. I couldn't go far from the bathroom because I couldn't keep food down and well food poisoning.... so I saw nothing of Fez. Then I was supposed to couchsurf. I waited 2 hours at the bus station for my host. Then it turned out his sister and brother were at his house so there wasn't room for me and I had to stay with a friend. More on this eventually but for now take my word for it... it was disgusting. It was too late to find a hostel so I stayed but the next day I said fuck off I'm going to a hostel. Plus I was still sick as hell. I slept more. Over all I only walked around Fez for 4 hours total. 2 of those were me being sick and trying to find my way to my hostel because I felt like my insides were dying.

I got to London having not eaten for 6 days. It was the first time in my life I've had cheekbones. Not to mention my jeans were too big and I had way too many ribs. It sucked. But I had my first meal since Azrou that I didn't promptly vomit back up. It was a BLT from Costa. And god did it taste amazing (it took me an hour and a half to eat it but I ate it all)!  I met Kelly and proceded to eat my way around London then Rome. I met a friend of my cousin in Rome and the three of us ate the fuck out of pasta and pizza. It was the perfect stop after being so damn sick!

And now my pants still don't fit and my bras are a smidge too big but I'm in Spain and still eating tons. I'm trying to get back to normal so my jeans fit me again because I don't feel like buying a belt. In my head it's easier to eat more then to buy a belt.

Besides it's Christmas Market season!! Sweets and mulled wine and all things Christmas!

I've found my travel swagger again. Yesterday marked a month since take off and holy shit it's really flown. I've enjoyed it so far. More enjoyment these past few days but I've got another 17 days to stretch myself and push my comfort zone. Because the best thing about traveling is the fact that your comfort zone expands. The more I travel the more I find I become comfortable with the craziest things. Fewer and fewer things scare me. And I like it. I'm constantly stepping out of my shell and having adventures of all shapes and sizes!

So here's to 17 more days of adventure!

Cheers,
Taylor

No comments: