Thursday, March 5, 2015

12 Flights 7 Week: The Sahara Desert Adventure

Since I was in Morocco I splurged on the very touristy thing of visiting the desert. It had to be done! And I was really afraid that I would miss it.

First there was a sand storm!



Then there was a rain storm!


And as the hotel owner said they only get rain twice a year! It was cool but I was a bit bummed because I wanted to go to the fucking desert!!

Any how it passed… for the most part. So we saddled up! It turned out to be a benefit that I was solo because I got to sit at the front of the camel train. I got the typically awesome camel photos!

And one of the guides took a couple photos for me!




I will preface this two hour camel ride with the fact that I have never ridden a horse before let alone a camel. So I was quite sure I was going to fall off at some point. Turns out I was a natural! There was an older couple there who were convinced I had ridden before and was lying. And the one guide said I’d make a good Berber wife because I rode so well.

Anyhow it was a two hour ride out to the camp. It was actually rather cold because of the earlier rain. And about 45 minutes into the ride we were rained on. I mean come on how freaking cool! I got rained on in the Sahara! When we stopped for photos I got this beauty!



Seriously how many people do you know that have seen a rainbow in the Sahara desert! 





Not to mention I totally had to get a picture of my self in my desert princess getup!



And the guide was chatting me up. The normal how old are you, are you married, why aren't you married, do you have a boyfriend. I did my best not to be a total bitch but as I said before having weird conversations with men was a side effect of being a solo woman. Then we mounted back up. Getting on and off the camel was a little white knuckle experience. Because when you go to dismount they go down of their front legs first and mine was stubborn and didn’t want to sit back so I was just leaning back trying not to fall forward before he sat down. Getting back up was the reverse. I had a very sassy camel. I named her Bernard, but called him Babes.


So after sunset pics it was the long haul to the camp! It was up hills and down hills. Then we were there and we walked down a smallish dune and into the camp!




Legit right?! We all got assigned tents. There was only 7 of us, normally on peak season there are 20 or more people! That would mean doubling up in tents. So it was nice that there were so few of us. Plus we all got pretty close from hanging out and talking over dinner.

I’ll introduce my friends from the desert. There was the older couple (I think they were Danish). They were nice, very sassy and very well travelled. There were two girls from Canada (I think) and they were working in Switzerland as nurses so they spoke tons of French. Then there were my Canada Boys. They were two friends from Toronto. And I’ll be dead honest they made that desert trip perfect for me. They were close to age and easy to talk to. Then we had the two Berber guides with us. One was younger (the one creeping on me) and an older one.

We looked at the stars before the moon rose then hung out and had tagine for dinner. Then we told some jokes. I was just telling my mum and brother the jokes the other day and they were like what? Those are stupid. They’re funny in that lame way. One of them our whole group got stumped on and came up with creative answers only to have it be a lame one. It was still fun. Then it was music time. I got to play the drums, poor choice on their part. I suck musically. And it was almost painfully awkward for me. But I made it through alive!

Then it was time for more star gazing! This time the moon was up! I seriously have never seen that many stars in the sky and it was amazing! Canada Boy 1 showed me how to set the manual settings so I could get pictures of the stars!!








And even though my camera is ghetto they came out amazing and I was so fucking lucky to have my camera pointed in the right direction to catch this beauty!


Ahhhh!!!! How fantastic right! Any how while we were all taking pictures and milling about the one guide who had chatted me up earlier came over and was like hey do you want me to take you up the dune after this. I was a bit creeped out but I totally wanted to go. So as we were sort of going toward the dune I was like hey Canada boys come with me we’re climbing a dune. And either they were totally game or I sounded very creeped out they came along, bless their souls. Canada Boy 1 lagged behind because of a knee injury but Canada Boy 2 stuck with it! It was seriously so nice to have someone else along on that hike. Because at one point I’m lagging a bit and the guide comes over and takes my hand and I’m like beyond weirded out so I grab Canada Boy’s hand and we keep on trekking up. It was a massive dune!


Yup that one. So we climbed the non windblown side from out camp to a smaller ridge then we hopped over to the windblown side and damn what a difference it made. It was packed and made walking so much easier. So we hiked and hiked. I’d say it easily took us 45 minutes if not longer to climb that dune. I was never happier that I had been working out at the gym and getting in shape because I did a decent job on not lagging too much! So we get to the top and holy hell…

Those lights are Merzouga 


The pictures don’t do it justice. It was like a sea of silver. Honestly one of the most mind bogglingly beautiful things. We just sat there for a bit in silence then we sort of started chatting with the guide and he was sitting way too close for comfort so I scooted a bit and Canada Boy and I ended up talking about random things.

Then we were tired and like okay let’s head back! So the guide was like hey do you want to Berber sled. I was like cool show us how to do it. So he’s like sit down and give me you ankles. Apparently Berber sledding is just being pulled down the dune by your feet. Weird right? Totally weird. Canada Boy got left out, he had to walk down the dune. I’m convinced it was because he wasn’t a single female…

After that it was totally bedish time. I ended up cracking out my manuscript because I wanted to be able to say I had edited it in the Sahara! But come on this tent was pretty sweet. 


 And was that sand at the head of my bed… 



Of course I was in the desert you fool!

 Any how I had 3 blankets on my bed because I wanted an extra one since I had no one to share body heat with. I also slept in 2 pairs of socks, leggings, pants, shirt, sweatshirt and vest. And I used my desert wrap on my face during the night because I woke up to a freezing nose that I was convinced I’d lose to frost bite. I didn’t get too much sleep because I kept waking up from being cold. And I hate being cold. I severely underestimated the cold. Next time I go into the desert for a night I had better be married so I have a hot guy to cuddle with!!

The next morning we were woken up early so we could catch the sunrise. Our whole group hiked up the huge dune (the one I climbed the night before). We took the hard route straight up the side!! And holy fuck was it worth it!




When we got there the sun hadn’t crested the dunes in front of us but there was a higher dune to the left that was already in the sun. 


So we all took a seat and waited…


And I took way too many pictures…



But it was just stunning!

There's our camp!!


The creepy guide gave me the front camel again for the ride back. So I had epic pictures again. And since it wasn’t rainy I got to wear my head wrap!!

Come on I sort of looked cool as fuck! By the way this is my selfie with Babes when we got back


And I got a bunch of cool shadow photos…




I’ll be dead honest that ride back was really painful. My butt was so bruised from the day before that it was VERY uncomfortable.

And yes I stole this picture from my Canada buddy! Cheers!



I just have to say that I felt quite epic on a camel. And it was worth the splurge which turned out not being a huge splurge. So that was money I rolled into Rome and Edinburgh!

Cheers,



No comments: