Friday, October 14, 2011

Metz

I’ve been here a month now. And I haven’t seen lots of France or Europe. But I’ve seen enough to make me happy. I’ve walked around Nancy a bit, I know some of the city and could probably navigate to most places that are important. And I’ve been to Bambiderstroff (It’s a tiny town near Germany). And I’ve driven through the places in between.


My first other “Big City Experience” other then Nancy was going to Mets last weekend. For my English-Speaking readers Metz is pounced a lot like mess. It’s close to Nancy and lucky for me my boyfriend has a friend who lives there and he was nice enough to walk us around the city. I took lots of pictures (what’s new right?). And it was pretty.


As an American I had a preconceived image of France and what it should look like. It all came from films and pictures and what I learned while in French class. So it’s weird to be in France and have everything live up to my standards. Metz is one of those cities in France that is totally French. And yes I am aware how “American” and probably stupid that statement makes me sound… but I’ll live with it. I just wanted to walk around and stare at everything. I compromised by taking 138 pictures…


We started the visit by going to Centre Pompidou. It’s a modern art museum, if you know the name it’s because there’s one in Paris too and the building is well known.


Then it was off to the city and walking around.















One of the last places we saw was this cathedral. The only cathedral I’ve ever seen is St. Patrick’s in New York. Which is nothing compared to this one. It was huge and so cool looking.





The only thing I kept thinking about as we walked toward it was how it was sectioned off from the houses around it…

Apparently it wasn’t. There was no gap the house was built right onto the side of the cathedral.


After our walk it was clearly time for a pint. And after our pints it was KFC for dinner. When I text one of my friends about my day she said “I was like wow she had such an authentic French European day… until KFC” and I had to laugh with her. Even though it was tasty it was still odd to think I was eating “American” fast food in another country. But the KFC did top off the perfect day trip!
 
Cheers,

No comments: