Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Of Birthdays and Badgers

I never expected to find myself in this predicament on my 21st birthday… I’m in a country where I’m already legal to drink.



If you had told me last year that I would be in this predicament I would have laughed in you face. You see this time last year I was still a normal student at Kean. It had never occurred to me to study abroad. I hadn’t received that fateful letter yet…


And when I did receive that fateful letter I threw it out.


Lucky for me my mum pulled it out of the trash and was like “Hey you should go abroad next semester.”


I think I seriously thought about it for a whole day before I made up my mind. And then I got my ass on the stick and applied since the deadline was less then 2 weeks away.


But I obviously finished it. And I went to Ireland. And I ended up here.


In Nancy France for my 21st birthday.


I’d envisioned my 21st a lot different when I thought about it last year. I thought I’d have a weekend liked my older brother Spencer. He and our mum went to Atlantic City to celebrate. I too was promised a weekend in AC to celebrate. It looks like my weekend is on hold for a few months though.


So what am I doing for my birthday weekend? I’m going to Paris and spending the night. Crazy right? This time last year I still had that bucket list in my head of where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. And this year… I’ve been a lot of places, seen things I thought I’d never see and now I’m going to Paris! PARIS! It still feels unreal to me. My whole birthday was unreal and perfect.

I didn’t do anything stereotypical for a 21st… then again I’ve never been one to abide by stereotypes so it made me happy I had the perfect birthday. My boyfriend made us breakfast before he went to class. I got to chill out and write while he was off learning. And that night instead of going out for drinks we stayed in. I drank my Guinness out of a Starbucks mug and we watched How I Meat Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. Very collegey and fun.

I’m looking forward to going to Paris and taking a bijillion pictures! And then you’ll get to hear all about it!

Cheers,




And what about Badgers? It’s a cool word.

No comments: