Thursday, January 7, 2010

Book Reviews!!





Book Review Time!!

It’s been a long time since I did my last reviews so I thought it would be cool to do another. I’m going to Review The Daemon’s Curse and The Darren Shan Saga. Now Darren is a series of 12 books… but they are amazing!

First. The Daemon’s Curse is by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee. It’s the first in a four book series… so I guess I’m reviewing two series. Haha. But they’re really good books if you’re looking for some gore. I don’t know about you but sometimes a good gory book beats out a good plot. But there’s also a decent plot that goes with the hack and slash. But just a bit more basic info before the plot. It’s a Warhammer novel which means it’s written off of the miniatures game of Games Workshop. Which is actually how I found it because I play as Dark Elves and Malus Darkblade is a Dark Elf figure I LOVE to use cause he kicks major butt. I was tot def excited when I found that there was a whole book series about him! The series goes as thus (1) The Daemon’s Curse (2) Bloodstorm (3)Reaper of Souls and (4) Lord of Ruin.

So The Daemon’s curse starts the epic journey Malus must make to save his soul. Now among the Dark Elves of Naggaroth it’s common for one to conspire against your siblings and kill to get to the top. Epically if you are the youngest child of the Vaulkhar of Hag Graef. So what better way than to travel to the Chaos Waste to a temple that holds “great power”? Too bad that “great power” was in the form of a Daemon. Malus becomes possessed by the ancient daemon Tz’arkan. Now Malus has two options either live with Tz’arkan slowly taking over and poisoning his body……or…… find five artifacts that have been lost in time within a year. So Malus embarks on a journey to try and find these five artifacts that have only been seen in tales over the last centuries. In the next three books Malus travels the known world looking for the artifacts. In his wake he leaves blood and hate. Will Malus find the artifacts? Or will he loose his soul?


Now lately there has been a craze about vampires. Now I hate to tell people that vampires were cool before their image was turned into that of a cute sparkly thing. Besides I hate to tell certain authors that REAL vampires don’t sparkle in sunlight, they die. I have a gig and a half of research to prove it… but I diverge, but only a tiny bit. Because I’ve been an avid vampire book reader for years now. And the Darren Shan saga is a fantastic way to demonstrate thus. It’s actually a vampire series but Shan does an amazing job of making his vampire’s all his own yet not diverging too much from “traditional” vampire. So The Saga of Darren Shan is by Darren Shan. The order of the books is as follows (1) Cirque Du Freak (2) The Vampire’s Assistant (3) Tunnels of Blood (4) Vampire Mountain (5) Trials of Death (6) The Vampire Prince (7) Hunters of The Dusk (8)Allies of The Night (9) Killers of The Dawn (10)The Lake of Souls (11) Lord of Shadows and (12) Sons of Destiny

It’s about a young boy (Darren Shan) and it follows him through the motions of growing up… as a vampire’s assistant. It was never his plan to be turned into a half vampire but when Darren attends a freak show and falls in love with Mr. Crepsley’s spider Madame Octa. Now Darren loved all types of spiders but Madame Octa is a large and way cool spider. So Darren steals Madame Octa and that’s when everything changes for him. The young boy gets swept up into a whirl wind of adventure as he goes with Mr. Crepsley who turns Darren into a half vampire.

Ya… that’s a rather shitty review… but I can’t say too much without giving away a ton. So apparently it was made into a movie… I watched the previews and I spotted at least 20 things that were wrong with it. Hahaha. Aaannnnd it’s also a manga (http://www.onemanga.com/Darren_Shan/) pretty nifty. I checked it out and it looks cool. And check out Darren’s website (http://www.darrenshan.com/) cause his other series (The Deamonata Series) is awesome too. Oh yes and I need to say a special thanks to my friend Luke (who leant me his name for The Cycle of Zantor) because he was the one who told me to read this series.


Laters,
T.V.

No comments: