Friday, January 1, 2010

"Interview" With Patrick Rothfuss

Happy New Year all,



Today I woke up in a fantastic mood. New year. New start. New page count to start. Haha. Any how I was just looking at Patrick Rothfuss’s blog and I was reading two interviews that he did with Nnedi Okorafor and Joe Abercrombie and I totally thought that the questions he asked were amazing. And being the total dorky freak that I am I thought that it would be funny/cool to take some of the questions from the interviews he did and answer them as if he interviewed me. Haha. And yes it’s true I have no life… I mean I sit around and write after all. Read the real interviews here (http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2009_12_01_archive.html) they are December 7th and December 30th. But you should also read all of Pat’s blog cause he pretty much kicks butt. Any how here’s my “interview” with Patrick Rothfuss.


Heya Taylor. Let's say you're at a party and you meet someone you wanted to impress. What sort of things about your writing career would you casually drop into the conversation to prove that you're awesome?


I’d probably start with the fact that I was a published author before I graduated high school and now as a college freshman I’m preparing the first book in my series for publication.


If you had to pick your favorite book of all time, what would it be?


That’s a hard question… so I think I’ll judge my favorite book by the ones I’ve read the most and that would be The Thief Lord and your book Name Of The Wind.


Really Name Of The Wind? What makes you keep rereading it?


It’s epic… haha. And it’s just addicting cause of the way you lay out the plot and the whole story within a story deal and your writing style is so eloquent. Plus Kvothe is a really nifty name.


Do you have a particular piece of grammar that you screw up regularly?


Then and Than always mixing up when to use Than. It used to be Fallow and Follow (cause I thought phonetically follow should have an A in it cause I say it fall-o… I know silly me) but I’ve got it just about straightened out.


I recently made a joke about Transition Putty on my blog. That being, of course, what we writers buy at Home Depot to smooth out our rough transitions. If you could have some sort of handyman tool like that, something like Plot Spackle or a Character Level, what would it be?


I could really do with some Epic Paint. For those bits where you need epicness but can’t quite come up with something cool enough so you’d just paint the epic onto the scene.


If you could punch one literary figure, who would it be?


Hehe this is probably going to offend a lot of people so I’ll just say why I’d punch this person and you can guess who it is. Vampire’s don’t sparkle. Nuff said.


Alexandre Dumas wrote his nonfiction on rose-colored paper, his fiction on blue, and his poetry on yellow. Do you have any little rituals that help you write?


I put on my “Writing Tunes” playlist. It’s a wonderful plethora of songs that inspire me and it changes every now and again to accommodate scenes and what not.


What's the best compliment you've ever received?


Okay so with my novel I had left a question sort of unanswered throughout the whole novel. And you know as the writer you know how it all plays out and I wasn’t sure if I was being as subtle and suave with it as I thought till one of my friends (who I met working at aftercare and is in middle school) asked me the question. I was sooo excited it made me really happy that I pulled it off. And I got to give her the “Well finish reading and you’ll find out” cocky response.


Which would you rather do: cut out 20% of your current book, or insert a wacky talking animal sidekick (a la Disney movie) into half the chapters because the marketing people think it would make the book sell better.


I’d probably go with the Disney character. Only I’d make it some random animal like a platypus or a llama so it would just be hysterical then I’d kill it halfway through the book and get back to the seriousness. Hahaha


That's all I've got. Thanks so much for the interview.


Thank you Pat this was mad awesome fun.





Oh goodness I’m such a dork! But I love it! Haha. I hope Pat doesn’t mind………
And I’d just like to say that I loved Ms. Okorafor’s response to the transistion putty question. She said “Natural-Looking Filler for those tough glaring gaps between the exciting parts of the story where crazy sh*t happens.” I can’t agree more slash I would love to have some right now… which I should be getting back to writing…


Laters,
T.V.

No comments: